Monday, February 9, 2009

What's all this Senseless Violence?

So for the assignment about not using one of our senses I chose to lose my hearing for a few hours. I started off by putting in earplugs and then wrapped my ears in gauze and finally used a set of lower quality noise cancelling headphones. I could still her a little of course, but it was dramatically dulled and nothing was clearly audible. I was hanging ut with a ladyfriend and we watched a film that I had seen before, but she had not... It was a confusing film so she kept wanting to ask me questions about it - well, of course I couldn't hear her very well at all. So... finally frustrated - I got out a notepad and begun to scribble information to her - then she'd take it and write back to me. The weirdest thing about all of this whole situation is that she is an ex that I haven't seen in about 2 years and this is what I have her do the first time I hang out with her! Hopefully I didn't ruin it! Anyway, after the film she starts teasing me and whispering things to me - and I try to write things back but she keeps grabbing the notepad and whispering just to confuse me and trying to get me a little mad. After a while I just stop trying to talk back to her and she just kept talking - luckily, this was near the end of the three hours. It was very frustrating - but kind of funny.

For my new sense I chose a sense that allows you to detect when people you know are around. I would like this sense because I find it annoying when you are somewhere and you know that there must be at least one or two people you know somewhere nearby - but you'll probably miss them.

No comments: