Wednesday, February 11, 2009

4x4 (Fourth Class Meeting Response)

So today was bag-head day... That's right, we put plastic bags on our heads. No one died though. I really like Evelyn Glennie's approach to sound and music - there is more than to just hear it. I have done some things like this before (www.myspace.com/algiztribe) with my experimental music project. Check it out if you are into neofolk-experimental-ritual, ambient-electronic-industrial pagan-psych-martial music just like everyone else... I think it's cool as hell that Evelyn is mostly deaf and is still able to do some of the things that she does - she is obviously very talented and very "rhythmically aware" - even though I have hearing, I can't keep a beat to save my life - so that alone is astounding to me. My only qualm with her approach is thus - if I were her I would want to be WAY MORE EXPERIMENTAL with my sound and overall technique. For instance I realize she was trained on actual instruments - but why wouldn't she want to make something more unique like hitting the girders of a building with hammers or something along those lines? Look at this for something similar to what I mean:

No comments: