Monday, March 2, 2009

"Plato's Republic"

A response:

Dear Glaucon, what say we stand here all day and use circular logic to confuse and mislead each other, then drag out the explainations and details until we both agree on each others points, yes?

True.
Very True.
Yes.

I am all for classic literature, I swear it! I like the cave analogy, it works and it's "very true." I agree with their many points about the governors and the State and find their subtle sarcastic comments about politicians' intelligence, "true," and amusing.

However... I also find many of their arguments boring, circular, unreasonable and almost pointless. Don't misunderstand, I think philosophy is important and I would like it gain more of a foothold in today's stupid fucking society. I know this won't happen because people are trained to be "L-moding" (using their left brain - the authoritative and puntual side; i.e.; the boring side) all day long. It's not their fault, necessairly, blame major corporations and media mogels who try to brainwash and control people with advertising and dead-end jobs.

Actually, now that I write this - I see it - we need philosophy, every once and a while we have to stop and think, to smell the roses, if you will. We need to ponder what we are, where we came from, what the future holds, what more can be done, etc... - this is what makes us human: if we can't do this... I think we'll die.

No comments: