Monday, January 26, 2009

First, Last, and Always...

(A response to the first day of N485, "Seeing Sideways")

I really wasn't quite sure what to expect on the first day - what kind of a class is this exactly? After a quick rundown I can tell that I am really going to enjoy this class... my problem with many other classes is that while you might create things in them there are almost always lots of rules, limits, guidelines to outline each assignment. For instance, the last video class I took had very strict time, story, and content limitations. I like being given very loose instructions and then total freedom... It just so happens that is a lot like the first real assignment in the class: "Do something with this egg." Right up my alley. I can also tell that this class is going to be a lot of fun and unleash some real creative forces (in myself and the class as a whole) that might otherwise lie in wait... maybe forever. I am really excited to see what future assignments are going to be and I am really looking forward to hopefully be able to find a project that will allow the creation of at least one very wild art film without the stipulations of a normal film class.

Even during the first day people were starting to open up a little more and it's easy to tell who isn't going to have to be prompted to participate. Generally, I'm not very good in these types of settings without feeling really comfortable (i.e. : small class, knowing almost everyone, etc.) but I think this class is going to be much easier than a traditional setting and hopefully become much easier to communicate in a "roundtable" class such as this. Either way, I am looking forward to the endless possibilities and freedom this class should bring!

No comments: