Monday, April 27, 2009

New Media Scav Hunt

I forgot all about this assignment and happened to stumble upon something that actually reminded me of it! I was at Meijer buying groceries and went through the self-checkout lane like usual - when it suddenly struck me this is New Media at work - but it really struck me when I pushed the button to signify that I was buying produce. It asked me for the code, and then asked that I place the bag on the scale - not only did it ask, but it showed a CGI animation of a woman shopper placing a bag of apples on the machine's scale to show you where to place the bag. Even though this is something menial and not terribly exciting, it made me realize that New Media is all around me and that I don't necessarily have to seek it out to find it...

No comments: